A little while ago I did a brief tutorial of the Google Vision API using RoogleVision created by Mark Edmonson. I couldn’t find anything similar to that in R for the Microsoft Cognitive Services API so I thought I would give it a shot. I whipped this example together quickly to give it a proof-of-concept but I could certainly see myself building an R package to support this (unless someone can point to one – and please do if one exists)!
A quick example, sending this image retrieved the location of the human face and created a caption! Here’s my dog lined up next to his doppelganger:
The disastrous impact of recent hurricanes, Harvey and Irma, generated a large influx of data within the online community. I was curious about the history of hurricanes and tropical storms so I found a data set on data.world and started some basic Exploratory data analysis (EDA).
EDA is crucial to starting any project. Through EDA you can start to identify errors & inconsistencies in your data, find interesting patterns, see correlations and start to develop hypotheses to test. For most people, basic spreadsheets and charts are handy and provide a great place to start. They are an easy-to-use method to manipulate and visualize your data quickly. Data scientists may cringe at the idea of using a graphical user interface (GUI) to kick-off the EDA process but those tools are very effective and efficient when used properly. However, if you’re reading this, you’re probably trying to take EDA to the next level. The best way to learn is to get your hands dirty, let’s get started.